• December 13Choir Concert @ 7:00 in the Auditorium Tonight

Thanksgiving Football and Feast

Recap of this past weeks major college Rivalry football games.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Thanksgiving Football and Feast

No. 22 Texas A&M takes down No. 7 LSU in a 7OT showdown

Jack Nieto, Staff Writer

No. 7 LSU Tigers vs. No. 22 Texas A&M Aggies  

No. 7 LSU coming off a two-game win streak versus two unranked teams now had to play the No. 22 Texas A&M Aggies. The game seemed to be over after LSU intercepted the ball from the Aggies with less than a minute left, but a call saying that the quarterback’s knee was on the ground gave the Aggies the ball back. With less than thirty seconds left the Aggies managed to score a touchdown tying the game 34-34. The game proceeds to stretch all the way to 7OT with the Aggies making a 2-PT conversion to win it all making the final score 74-72 Aggies. Both teams combined for 146 points. 

No. 6 Oklahoma Sooners vs. No. 13 West Virginia Mountaineers 

Oklahoma would be playing West Virginia for the Big-12 championship game versus Texas. This game was predicted to be a shootout in which it was to some capacity. Early in the quarter the Sooners star quarterback Kyler Murray would run for 55 yards and get the touchdown. The game was back and forth all the way till the end of the second quarter when Oklahoma sacked and got a turnover for a touchdown making it so West Virginia would need two touchdowns to catch up. Late in the third quarter the Mountaineers took the lead making it 49-45. With ten minutes left in the fourth quarter the Mountaineers QB Will Grier throws deep for what would end in a touchdown however a penalty would bring them back past the 50-yard line. Shortly after that the Sooners turnover the ball from the Mountaineers and put up yet another touchdown to make it 59-49. With a crucial 4th down Kyler Murray finds CeeDee Lamb for the first down giving the Sooners enough time to finish the game with the W. The final score would be 59-56 Sooners. 

No. 4 Michigan Wolverines vs. No. 10 Ohio State Buckeyes 

The Wolverines and their head coach Jim Harbaugh haven’t beat the Buckeyes since 2000 and the Wolverines were predicted to win this one with the number one ranked defense in the nation. With Ohio State losing to Purdue earlier in the season and almost losing to Maryland last week, most people would predict the Wolverines to beat the Buckeyes to maintain their CFB hopes. The winner of this game would play Northwestern in the Big-10 championship game. The Buckeyes started the game off hot to take a 21-6 lead. Michigan scored late in the second quarter to make it 21-13. When Michigan kicks off to Ohio State, the buckeyes return the ball and they fumble it, Michigan takes the ball ultimately scoring another touchdown making it 21-19. The second half of the game was pretty much a mess with the Buckeyes scoring 38 points on the Wolverines defense and the Buckeyes only letting Michigan score 20. 62-39 Buckeyes. 

No. 16 Washington Huskies vs. No. 8 Washington St. Cougars 

The No. 16 Huskies would be playing the No. 8 Cougars for the Apple Cup in a snow battle for the Pac-12 championship game. Late in the first quarter the Huskies take the first touchdown of the game. With five minutes left in the second quarter the Huskies score yet another touchdown to make it 14-0. Less than a minute left in the second quarter the Cougars finally get on the board making it 14-7. The Huskies came off red hot as soon as the second half started; Washington throws 38-yard backwards pass making it 20-9. With a full quarter left the Cougars get back in the race making it 20-15. Shortly after the Cougars touchdown RB Myles Gaskin from the Huskies responds with an 80-yard touchdown run. The Huskies would move on to their second Pac-12 North division title in three years. 

Overall Michigan’s loss to Ohio state moves the Wolverines to No. 8 and the Buckeyes move to No. 6 from No. 10. Notre Dame stays at No. 3 along with Alabama at No. 1 and Clemson at No. 2, while Georgia moves to No. 4. The Sooners also move up to No. 5 from No. 6 after Michigan’s loss. The regular season comes to an end and the races to the playoffs are coming to a close.

About the Writer
Jack Nieto, Staff Writer

Jack is in his first year on the Scepter staff. He enjoys watching Oklahoma athletics and hanging out with his friends and family when he can. Jack is...