Spring Sports

It’s that time of the year for Spring sports to begin the grind. Spring sports include baseball, tennis, golf, soccer, and track. Most would imagine the sun is out and all the athletes are beginning to have sun kissed tans.  

This past weekend at Papillion LaVista High School the track team took on the track for their workout. The coaches have been trying their best to get their athletes in shape but with limited room and so many sports it’s a stretch.  

“It was cold and over a foot of snow had to be removed,”  Senior Joe Bianchi said. 

Over 50 students showed up to shovel the track and 3 snow blowers were brought by coaches and students for the event. It took nearly two hours and was the beginning of team work for the Monarchs.  

“It was honestly fun because it was a chance for team bonding before the season, but don’t get me wrong, it was very cold,” Senior Kellie Lang said.  

Lang brought up the fact of team bondingwhich most sports forget to incorporate into their season. Especially in track, since it is an individual sport.  

“I think we need more team bonding like team dinners before meets, or a community service project,” Lang said.  

All the seniors are coming to their last season in their High School career and most of them are setting some sort of goal.  

“I just want to be the best I can and letter,” Bianchi said.  

Other senior athletes have more drastic goals.  

“I want to beat my personal record, qualify for state, and help Emily Keating earn a medal in the Special Olympics track, Lang said.  

These goals of course take a lot of hard work, time, and training. Usually training for track is done on a track, but since that is not an option with the winter weather hanging around longer than expected all athletes are inside.  

“Being inside is hard since it’s a lot smaller than a track and limits our abilities but we all work together and make it work,” Lang said.  

The track team is dodging many hurdles to begin their season but are continuing to move forward day by day.