Circle of Friends

Getting to school thirty minutes early one day a week to play games might just make a difference in someone’s life.  

In room 102 every Thursday morning, a select group of peer mentors and students from the special education program come together to play games and eat Poptart’s for the PLHS Circle of Friends club. 

At 7:30 this group meets to play, laugh, talk, and establish friendships that may be hard for some to make outside of this environment.  

“We play lots of different games like headbands and apples to apples. These games get everyone involved and push people to talk and get out of their comfort zone, sophomore Adison Kizer said. 

The club also has outside of school activities to further develop friendships and social skills outside of school. 

“We do something like go to Vala’s or have a picnic once a month in the evening,” Kizer said. 

Peer mentors devote their time to take part in this club and help with the special education program in other ways as well. 

“I am apart of circle of friends, project unified, and I help them with coffee and recycling for a class period every school day,” sophomore Ashlee Demaria said. 

Many different students take part in this club but they all mostly do it for the same reasons. 

“I am in circle of friends because it makes me feel like I’m doing something positive to help out, I also just really like to play games and talk with the special education students,” Demaria said. 

Circle of Friends can be very rewarding for those involved. 

“I love seeing everyone get out of their comfort zone and become more confident and outgoing, it makes me feel like I’m really making a difference,” Kizer said. 

Students have the opportunity to make a difference in their peers’ lives. Because of these students who devote a small piece of their time to the club, students are learning new social skills and making important relationships.