Writing Club

Peers talk amongst themselves as pencils scratch at the loose-leaf paper. Laughter breaks out at some point and the aroma of the room is that of cheap snack cakes that accompany this quaint writing session.  

Writing club is a new addition to the after-school activity list this year. Being a student created club, it’s still finding its feet among the several clubs already present within Papillion La Vista High School. The club currently meets in room 152 every Tuesday from 3:30 to 4:30 and is teacher sponsored by Ms. Albertson. 

“Over the summer I really got into writing, poetry especially. I knew a lot of my friends weren’t that into it, and I wanted to find people who were as interested as I was.” Sophomore and club leader Elizabeth Breinholt said.  

With a motive, Breinholt was quick to take on the challenge of leading a club.  

“Attendance is an issue. We don’t have that many members,” Breinholt said. “I’m guessing this is because no one really knows about the club. Along with that, people aren’t exactly interested in writing.”  

However, with a hope and passion for the club and subject, Breinholt plans to fix these issues. 

“Communication is really important between club captains,” Brienholt said. “We should work on that if we want more structure and preparedness. 

Breinholt isn’t the only one to recognize this issue, either.  

“I think we could be more organized and have a better variety of activities to do. We could also promote the club more to get others to join. sophomore and club captain S. Grauberger said. 

As of now, however, the club still has a general outline.  

“So far, we’ve had some teaching days where we learn more about writing but for the most part, everyone has been sharing a lot of their own work,” Grauberger said. “We’ve also been coming up with stories using a prompt given every Tuesday.”  

With all the hope and ambition for a common interest, students come together despite the problems. Writing Club manages to ensure an environment where peers can laugh, have fun, learn, and of course, write.