Quarantine Hobbies

Over quarantine people picked up new hobbies.

A student baking in Culinary Club. Many students have picked up cooking over quarantine.

After an extended amount of time spent in isolation the brain can start to change and adapt to being alone. This can lead to memory loss, mental health issues, and other serious problems. Where people’s brains might not be changing while in quarantine per se, they are definitely more than a little bored.  

The question is, how do people combat this boredom? While in quarantine people have had more than enough time to themselves. This has led a lot of people to pick up hobbies and skills over the summer. 

One habit many people are guilty of is boredom eating. This may seem like a waste of your time but, there is a way to hone this bad habit into a fun and productive pastime. 

“Over the summer I started baking,” sophomore Leah Hunter said. “My favorite things to bake are snicker doodles and sugar cookies. I started because my brother enjoys baking and makes amazing desserts.” 

Baking can also be affordable if you know what recipes to look at. Low-cost ingredients can be helpful for kids who do not have a job yet or were laid off because of COVID-19. 

“Sugar and chocolate chip cookies are pretty cheap.” Hunter said. “Cupcakes can also be affordable, however, the more you decorate the pricier it gets.” 

But, some people may be hopeless with anything other than a microwave. If this is the case they might want to migrate from the kitchen to the arts and crafts room. 

“I have picked up drawing and hand crocheting,” sophomore Emily Smith said. “They are both fun ways to spend the extra time I had accumulated over quarantine. Hand crocheting was especially relaxing.”

Arts and crafts is a good way to wind down from the craziness of 2020. But, is it affordable?

“Art is a bit more pricey than other hobbies,” Smith said. “But, you can find affordable supplies if you know where to look.”

Luckily for her, there are many affordable brands like Artist’s Loft and Crayola that can help for people on a budget.

Without pastimes like these, quarantine would leave most of the population with brain rot. Luckily for these two, they have plenty of time to perfect their skills.