Girls Soccer at PLHS

Dribble, pass, shoot. With the 2022 spring soccer season starting this week, many girls are looking forward to the new season with a fresh start. 

The spring sports season is a part of the year that all athletes look forward to. Teams start training for these upcoming events months before the season can truly start. 

Since the drama from last year is in the past, the girls soccer teams have new coaching for both varsity and junior varsity. 

“I’m excited for the new opportunities that this upcoming season will bring due to new coaches and teammates,” sophomore Sophia Rojas said. 

Even though it will be the coaches first year at PLHS, players are still confident in their coaching skills.

“I am very confident in their abilities to lead a winning team,” junior Abigail Ferracci said. “He has shown us so far that he can and I think we will go far in the season.”

During the months leading up to the start of the season, coaches had the girls meet up for conditioning every Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday after school to get some touches in. They did this to prepare the players for the tough conditions the season will bring. 

“During winter conditioning, during a scrimmage we had, I sprained and dislocated my shoulder,” Rojas said. “It’s healed now and I’m ready for the season to start.” 

Players that are coming back are feeling more confident in their teams abilities this time around.

“I do think that it is very possible for everyone to make it far this season, either with varsity making it to state or jv making it to the championship,” Rojas said. “Considering all of the hard work we have put in, I think there is a good chance.” 

The girls also left some words of advice for the upcoming freshman who are deciding to try out this year. 

“Make sure you work hard during the season and it will all pay off in the end,” Ferracci said. 

Even though many girls have been playing since they were young, some players might be coming off only a couple years of play and they could want to try out in the middle of their high school career. 

“I say just do it because why not?” Rojas said. “What’s the harm in trying? And who knows, you could end up making the team and having a good time.” 

With the seemingly fresh and new season on the rise, students all over PLHS will be waiting for those fourth period announcements exclaiming that the girls varsity soccer team is going to state.