Head of the Class

Students in Art 2 paint foam heads in a way that represents a certain teacher or class.

It’s surprising how many things can be painted on a human head. Artists tend to see opportunity even where others see restrictions, however, and maximizing surface area is no exception.

In Mr. Blevins’ Art 2 class, the students received an unusual canvas: a to-scale foam head. They also got to choose a teacher to paint the head for. Many students used this as an opportunity to express their appreciation for good teachers they’ve had in the past.

Elaina Delwiche is one art student who painted a head. She was inspired by one of her favorite stories as a child.

“I wanted to make a head based off of one of my favorite books: Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland,” Delwiche said. “I like how whimsical it is, and how you can get lost in the story.” 

She dedicated her project to Ms. Anderson, our librarian, because they both enjoyed Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland.

“One day before school, I went in and showed her the book and she really liked it, and she talked about how Alice in Wonderland was one of her favorite stories too,” Delwiche said. “It was just a memory that I have that’s really nice.”

Another student who painted a foam head was Julian Haines, a junior in show choir. They wanted to show their gratitude for show choir. 

Music means a lot to me, and I just really like show choir,” Haines said. “It helps me; it’s become a part of who I am, and Bugs (Mr. Buglewicz) and LaRue work so hard to make sure all the choirs are doing the best they can to perform and have a good time.”

Despite the challenges of limited space and an unconventional shape, these students made pieces of art that teachers can proudly display in their classrooms.