Classes in the Cloud

Students+locate+their+assignments+and+necessary+information+on+Canvas+websites+like+this+one.+++
Back to Article
Back to Article

Classes in the Cloud

Students locate their assignments and necessary information on Canvas websites like this one.

Elizabeth Eidem, Staff Writer

The course description at PLHS expanded to keep up with the times by adding a variety of online classes as an option for students in this 2017-2018 school year, and this option has been well received by students and teachers alike.  

American Government, Psychology, Physical Science and Issues and Geography  in the Modern World are all offered online on a Canvas-based format, which offers students a skill set that will easily prepare them for online classes taken in college or the future.  

Mrs. Gretta Hubert, an online American Government teacher, was asked to teach the class because of her willingness to adapt the traditional classroom into an online forum for students like senior Casey Hirschfeld.  

Hirschfeld is enrolled in both online Psychology and Government, which has allowed her schedule to fit the extra science class she desired and the government credit needed for graduation.  

Being the first year for online classes, Hirschfeld was not nervous about kinks or errors but, rather, was open to taking on the class because of the reputable teachers guiding the classes.  

“I knew the teachers creating them and I like and trust them,” Hirschfeld said.  

Hubert set up her program before the school year began under the guidance of professors at Metropolitan Community College that utilize Canvas as well.  

“We met with them to get some of their best practices,” Hubert said.

Hubert’s class is set up in two-week units with a weekly checklist with interesting topics. 

“Because this is a government class, I am able to keep my class up-to-date and hot-topic oriented,” Hubert said.  

The added interest level and freedom is something that Hubert thinks will ultimately help to prepare students for college. Online classes this year have been a huge success and have staff looking to move forward with more classes in the Cloud.