Make a Difference

Back to Article
Back to Article

Make a Difference

Junior David O'Connell hands some money to donate to the Hurricane Harvey fund. Students all across the school have given at least some money to help those in need.

Emma Higby, News Writer

Mass destruction, families stranded, and worse of all, dogs left without homes. Hurricane Harvey has been the worst hurricane that the United States has seen in many years. There have been numerous relief efforts all across the country, even celebrities are donating large amounts of money to help.

School wide relief efforts in King’s Corner where donations to a high school in Texas are accepted. The art club, sponsored by Ms. Val Mouttet, has been working on posters, which signified how and where donations would be taken across the school.

“We spoke to Mr. [Doug] Showell to find out what he wanted the posters to look like,” Mouttet said. “We helped make some posters and banners across the school.”

Showell has made direct contact to a church near Katy, Texas, so all the proceeds made here will go to that specific church. A little farther away from home, junior Abigail Meyer has some family members that were a part of Hurricane Harvey, as well as Hurricane Irma.

“I have an aunt, an uncle, and their kids, so my cousins in Texas,” Meyer said. “I also have a cousin in Florida, but he left after the hurricane.”

In order to keep their home safe from the flooding, they have taken some measures. They also remain optimistic despite what all is happening.

“They have barricaded the windows from the wind and trees, they also concealed the bottom of their house and doors because of the flooding,” Meyer said. “They have each other to keep the morale high, since the kids are young, they’re having fun playing in the water all the time.”

Hurricanes as well as other natural disasters can cause unimaginable damaged to small, tight communities. To do your part to help out those in trouble, stop by Kings Corner and donate even just a dollar, everything will help.