Strange Plurals

Let me show you the wacky and wild world of plurals throughout the animal kingdom. Many have been left out but here are some of my favorites.

Opinion by Trevor Lewis, Video Editor

Have you ever seen a group of fish? Have you ever seen a group of fishes? Have you ever seen a gaggle of geese? What about a flock of Geese? These are all technically correct plurals; most just have more common household uses.

There are many different plurals that confuse most people as they try to have a conversation about different animals. The scientific community always decides to make things difficult for the layman.

For starters, octopus, many people are baffled by the idea that one word can have more than one plural. The word octopus has been at the center of many debates between octopi and octopuses. And for those people who disowned their best friend over this complex topic, you are both right. In fact, you’re missing out on one of the plurals. The correct plurals of octopus are octopuses, octopi, and octopodes, however, octopuses is the more accepted plural within the scientific community.

Many people have heard of a gaggle of geese, but did you know that there is also such a thing as a flock of geese. The difference is if the geese are on the ground or in the air, on the ground, a group of geese is referred to as a gaggle of geese, but in the air, they are a flock or (in the middle age) a skein.

We all have seen a fish, we all have seen fish, but have we all seen fishes? If there is a group of the same kind of fish then the plural is fish. However, if there are a group of multiple fish species within it then that plural is fishes. The fishes notate a variety of species within the group.

Did you know that that some rhinos can run as fast as 34 miles per hour? Making them illegal in most residential areas. They can also only see about 30 feet in front of them, kinda explains why a group of rhinos are called a crash.

Several years ago, if you saw a group of squids then you were witnessing a shoal of squids, however, now the accepted name of a group of squids is known as a squad. It puts a whole new meaning to the term “squad goals”.

The next time you go through the zoo and start to observe all of these different species interacting with each other in their own individual ecosystems I hope you enjoy the complexity of the grammar behind these animals.