• August 28Varsity Football AT Bellevue East Friday night at 7 p.m.

A Long Overdue Star Wars Preview

Here is a very delayed preview of the new Star Wars movie, The Last Jedi which comes out Dec. 15th.

2017 @ Lucas Films LTD

Billy Broderick, Staff Writer

Wow. After watching the multiple teasers and trailers for this movie I’ve come to one main conclusion – there are so many questions Star Wars: The Last Jedi must answer. Who are Rey’s parents? Who is Snoke? And is Finn force-sensitive? Man, oh man, this movie has such great potential.

The official trailer is filled with a ton of scenes like the fiery Phasma vs. Finn fight, Chewy flying the Millennium Falcon with his new little bird-type buddy (really not sure what that thing is supposed to be, but I love it), and Kylo Ren overlooking an absolutely HUMONGOUS hangar filled with tons of First Order vehicles with some pretty ominous dialogue played in the back.

I’m absolutely ecstatic that it seems Phasma is going to have a real role in this film. I feel she was cheated in The Force Awakens and really deserved a greater act than what she got. I keep crossing my fingers hoping she actually lives up to the potential she has.

2017 @ Lucas Films LTD.
Phasma and Finn fight on, what appears to be, a large battleground.

2017 @ Lucas Films LTD.
Finn looks on with an indignant look on his face.

A Breif history of Star Wars
The first trilogy of Star Wars starts off with Episode IV, where we meet all our characters such as Princess Leia and Luke Skywalker. Luke sets off with his old hermit friend, Ben Kenobi who used to go by the name Obi-Wan Kenobi. Obi-Wan teaches Luke the ways of the force while they go around the galaxy to save Princess Leia along with the help of Han Solo. They rescue her from the planet-destroying space station, The Death Star. Obi-Wan fights arch enemy, Darth Vader and gives his life in order for Luke and the others to get away safely. The gang then meets back on the rebel base on Yavin IV. They devise a plan and destroy the evil space station. Next time we see the group is on the snow planet of Hoth. The base is attacked and the characters are forced to flee. Luke travels to Dagobah to complete his training with Jedi Master Yoda. The rest head to Bespin only to find Darth Vader and his imperial troops. Han is made into Carbonite and delivered to Jabba the Hutt. Luke arrives and fights the Darth only to lose his hand and lightsaber. The rest make an escape with Lando Calrissian off the planet but return to pick up the one-handed Luke. The group is now on Tatooine in order to get back Han. They rescue the sarcastic and semi blind man. They all head their separate ways for a little bit as Luke heads back to Dagobah only to learn that he is ready and Yoda then turns into a force ghost. They all regroup on the Forest Moon of Endoor to destroy the shield generator of the new Death Star. They blow it up, Luke defeats the emperor with the help of his father, Darth Vader, and the gang lives happily ever after, for now. The next set in the trilogy is Episodes I-III, the prequels to IV-VI. These films follow young Anakin Skywalker. The boy is first found on Tatooine and the Jedi Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi take him out of slavery then, take him to be trained by the Jedi. Qui-Gon is killed by Sith Lord Darth Maul who is struck down by Kenobi. Years pass and Anakin Skywalker has been trained by Obi-Wan Kenobi. Anakin falls in love with Padmé Amidala, senator from Naboo. Obi-Wan travels to Kamino to find an assassin trying to kill the senator but ends up finding a whole new army for the Republic, The Clone Army. The two main Jedi end up fighting Count Dooku, new sith lord. Anakin loses his hand and Master Yoda saves the day. Obi-Wan and Anakin are now on a mission to save Supreme Chancellor Palpatine from Count Dooku. Anakin defeats the Count and cuts his head off to avenge his hand. After the Chancellor is saved, Anakin finds out his new wife (Padmé) is pregnant. Then all of a sudden, the Jedi find out the Chancellor is the real Sith Lord. He converts Anakin to the Dark Side and sends him to Mustafar. Obi-Wan meets him there to stop him and he succeeds, severing his limbs and letting him burn from lava until Lord Sidious (The Chancellor) repairs him into the Darth Vader everyone knows. Padmé has twins and names them Luke and Leia before she dies shortly after giving birth.

(^^CLICK TO LEARN MORE ABOUT STAR WARS^^)

There’s really two main points of this trailer that stick out to me. The first one is Rey training with Luke and Rey does some classic lightsaber bit and then somehow the ground beneath her cracks. Luke then mentions to her that he’s only seen “raw strength”, which seems to be mentioned a lot throughout the trailer. Once before then, it cuts to a shot of his hand reaching up from a pile of embers and rubble only to move on to another shot where, Luke seems to be standing in front of a burning building.

2017 @ Lucas Films LTD.
R2-D2 and Luke Skywalker stare at burning ruins.

2017 @ Lucas Films LTD.
Luke’s robotic hand reaches up from a pile of rubble.

This has to excite everyone who’s seen the trailer because we all know what it is: the Jedi temple Kylo destroyed. That means backstories on backstories on backstories. I’m praying that we’re finally going to learn who Rey is, who Snoke is, and what Master Skywalker has been up to since we last saw him on the forest moon of Endoor.

The other scene that really catches my attention is Kylo Ren narrating that you need to “let the past die” while flying around in what seems to be some sort of space battle. Then all of a sudden, Boom! The voice stops talking, music stops playing, and the only thing you can hear is Kylo’s ship beeping to target what seems to be the ship his mother, Princess Leia, is on. Then it’s just two blank stares between Leia and Kylo, most likely calling out to each other through the force before Kylo blows the ship to smithereens, or flies away in shame because he can’t pull the trigger. I guess we’ll have to see the movie to find out.

I also whole-heartedly love how they show a part of the movie where Kylo Ren is leading a battalion of storm troopers through a cave, or maybe temple, or whatever it is. The scene is literally a reflection of when Anakin Skywalker is leading the 501st legion of clone troopers into the Jedi temple. I’m sure that’s exactly what the director what going for. Bravo, Rian Johnson.

Another thing all the trailers do well is incorporate the music brilliantly. All the symphonies, new and old, correlate perfectly with the scenes. They go from eerie bell tunes at the start to the suspenseful horn being played to Kylo’s theme while he’s flying all so smoothly.

The only bad part about this trailer is that it is very much set up to misdirect us like most trailers are. You never really get to see two characters talking directly to each other except for when Snoke is torturing Rey with the force. That’s why it’s hard to trust any of the scenes, such as the ending of the trailer where it’s made to look like Rey is telling Kylo to “Show me my place in all this.” I’d put money down that at no point in the movie Rey calls out for help from the dark side just because that’ll defeat the whole purpose of the character she is supposed to be.

I cannot wait for December 15th. I love the new angle the new trilogy is bringing to the Star Wars universe, the new characters, planets, vehicles, you name it. It can really grab the attention of all the old Star Wars fans unlike the prequels. They weren’t absolutely horrendous in my opinion, but the only good thing that came from them was the cartoon show that branched off from Episode II.

Ever since I saw the first teaser of The Force Awakens I’ve been itching to see the final trilogy. It may only be the second of the set of three, but boy are we in for a ride! So many old questions are going to be answered along with new ones being asked. You already know where I will be December 15th at midnight. Until then, may the force be with you.

About the Writer
Billy Broderick, Staff Writer
Billy Broderick is starting his first year on staff. He is going to be a staff writer for the year. Billy likes to play soccer, play the ukulele, listen to music, and watch sports. Billy is a big Cubs and NBA fan. You can follow Billy on twitter @Biliingsley.