• August 28Varsity Football AT Bellevue East Friday night at 7 p.m.

Color of Hope

Math teacher Michelle Mathison raises thousands of dollars for the American Cancer Society each year by selling t-shirts.

Teacher Michelle Mathison holds the Color of Hope shirts that she sells at PLHS each year to raise money for the American Cancer Society.

Jill Mathison, Staff Writer

“It makes me feel empowered that together, someday, we can find a cure and stop this disease for good and that this school will have a part in that,”

“No one fights alone”. The slogan of these well known t-shirts show that in this school and community, nobody has to fight cancer by themselves. Raising thousands of dollars each year, this is a big night for Papillion La-Vista High School. 

Math teacher Michelle Mathison and the team of junior class officers design and sell the “My Color of Hope” shirts to wear to a basketball game and raise money for the American Cancer Society. 

“It makes me feel empowered that together someday we can find a cure and stop this disease for good and that this school will have a part in that,” Mathison said. 

The Hope shirts come in almost all sizes and colors representing each kind of cancer, so everyone can support. 

“This was the tenth year of the Hope games, and ever since we started doing all colors instead of just pink it’s been way more successful,” Mathison said. 

These shirts aren’t just worn to the designated basketball game. The shirts can be found all around Papillion, many families affected by cancer wear them to support their loved ones.  

“Its really amazing and heart warming seeing everyone in these shirts that I designed; even flipping through the yearbook you can find a hope shirt on almost any page. I strongly believe that better treatments have been developed and that these shirts have assisted local families struggling with this horrible disease,” Mathison said. 

Color of Hope was originated at PLHS, but is not the only school involved. 

“We involved Westside this year and will be playing them on February 9th, Millard South and Millard North wanted to get involved also and sell Hope shirts to wear to their basketball game,” Mathison said. 

The Color of Hope game is an event students look forward to each year. Even after the game, students continue to wear their shirts and support the cause throughout the year. 

About the Writer
Jill Mathison, Social Media Editor
Jill is a Senior and a second year staff member. In Jills free time she enjoys hanging out with friends and coaching gymnastics. Jill is apart of the dive team, Dance team, and the Track and Field team.