• December 13Choir Concert @ 7:00 in the Auditorium Tonight

The Greatest Showman Review

The Greatest Showman stars Hugh Jackman, Zac Efron, Zendaya, Michelle Williams, and many more.

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Greatest Showman Review

P.T. Barnum stands in his arena

P.T. Barnum stands in his arena

P.T. Barnum stands in his arena

P.T. Barnum stands in his arena

Dakota Kelley, Staff Designer

The Greatest Showman is an interesting and music-filled adventure following the struggles and triumphs of P.T. Barnum, portrayed by Hugh Jackman. This film shows how a man coming from nothing can create a show that is loved worldwide.

Now, as I watched this movie I immediately was struck by the cast’s musical abilities. It’s been a while since I have been thoroughly impressed by the songs in a movie.  

The plot to this movie is a little predictable in some moments, but besides that, it is an entertaining plot that keeps you interested even if it is a bit cliché. The only gripe I have with the plot is when P.T. comes home to see his wife, Charity Barnum, portrayed by Michelle Williams, and she finds out that he kissed another woman; I wish they would elaborate on the reasoning behind it not just Charity’s reaction.  

I think the best part about this movie is the music that was created for it. Justin Paul and Benj Pasek wrote the all of the songs featured in the movie and they obviously have talent in songwriting because they did a stellar job on this soundtrack.

One of the reasons The Greatest Showman is so appealing, besides having Hugh Jackman and Zac Efron in leading roles, is because the whole “carny making it big from nothing” is a great plot and is entertaining.  [su_pullquote]”No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else.” – P.T. Barnum[/su_pullquote]

Should people go out and see The Greatest Showman? In my opinion, yes, they should. I’d say go and see it with your buddies or bring a date and enjoy yourself. Even if you don’t particularly like musicals, it’s still enjoyable for the average Joe.  

Overall, The Greatest Showman is an amazing film. Even with a few plot holes here and there, it’s still entertaining. I would suggest choosing it as your next flick to enjoy. 

About the Writer
Dakota Kelley, Staff Writer

Dakota Kelley is a junior, this is his first year on the scepter staff. Dakota is in the PLHS varsity show choir Free Spirit and has been in show choir...