• November 20Happy Thanksgiving Break!

Flow Big or Flow Home

Baseball players have started growing out their hair to sport the "Baseball Flow," but should they grow the flow or chop the mop?

Sophomore Garrett Anglim sports the

Sophomore Garrett Anglim sports the "Baseball Flow" during the varsity baseball game at Pius X.

Cassie Kessler, Staff Writer

Baseball season is upon us, which means bright lights, over-priced concessions, and dirt being blown in your face or staining your nice white shoes. Players have several different traditions, but perhaps the most noticeable tradition is the hair style known as the “Baseball Flow.” 

The haircut, or lack thereof, called the “Baseball Flow” is where baseball players grow out their hair long enough for it to be noticed in the halls. Not only is it practiced by MLB players, but this tradition can be seen at college and high school levels as well.  

Growing out one’s hair is a tradition that has been around for several years. However, it hasn’t just been the hair on their head. Hockey players grow what is called “The Playoff Beard”, where they don’t shave their facial hair if they’re still in the playoffs.  

According to People Magazine, the long hair we see on many baseball players today is inspired by the long hair once worn by famous actors, such as Brad Pitt or Chris Hemsworth. Some players choose to grow it out just a little, while others go all out, with enough hair to sport a man-bun. For some players, their long locks are “good luck.” 

Long hair can also be a strategy, especially for pitchers. In an interview conducted by USA Today, an anonymous hitter commented about an MLB pitcher’s hair.  

“And he’s got that hair – you can’t not look at it, it’s everywhere. It bothers me when I’m trying to pick up the ball out of his hand. All I see is hair.”  

With more and more high school baseball players acquiring the baseball flow, students around PLHS have formed their own opinions about the luscious locks.  

Junior Tabitha Dendinger believes that the hair is not just a tradition, but a display of confidence. 

“I support the flow because it shows the guys’ confidence,” Dendinger said. “It’s different than the typical short hair cuts.” 

The baseball flow should be more widely accepted and appreciated by people. Players of all sports have their own traditions or practices, and high school baseball players growing out their hair is one of the less absurd ones. 

Boys should be allowed to grow out their hair if they choose to without all the judgement around it. More guys carrying around extra hair ties on their wrist just make it easier for girls, who always seem to lose their own.

Perhaps the most significant benefit will be that, finally, guys will understand why it takes girls so long to do their hair in the shower, and why they can’t just roll out of bed without brushing it. 

Let the boys grow out the flow because walking around school seeing guys with lengthy, curly mops on their head is just one of the many perks of high school baseball. 

About the Writer
Cassie Kessler, Staff Writer

Junior Cassie Kessler is on her second year as part of the Scepter staff. She participates in track and field and enjoys listening to music.