Monarch Seniors Lead the Way on Senior Night

Enjoy this slideshow of the Boys Soccer Team's victory over Bellevue East on Senior Night last Friday taken by Delani Watkins.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Emmanuel Musonda keeps the ball from the goal in warmups of the Bellevue East game.

Devin Vetter, Sports Editor

The Papillion La Vista Boys Soccer team won its final home game 3-2 last Friday against Bellevue East thanks to two goals by senior CJ Abels and a goal from sophomore Gabe Greiman. 

“It was great to see us work as a team for that to happen,” senior Josh Mayfield said. “The excitement we showed was a confidence booster.” 

In the first half, the Monarchs jumped out to a 2-0 lead when Abels put a ball into the back of the net and Greiman hit a long shot.  

“That kept the team motivated,” Mayfield said. “We wanted it more out on the field.” 

The Chieftains came back with a goal with 12:25 left in the first half to make the score 2-1 in favor of the Monarchs at halftime.  

“After that goal, all we were thinking was to stop them and get the ball back, so we could get on the offensive side of the ball,” Mayfield said.  

The game hit a lull in the second half until Bellevue East scored the game tying goal about midway through the second half.  

After the goal by the Chieftains the teams traded field position until 12:43 when Bellevue East committed a foul in the box to set up a Papio penalty kick.  

Abels stepped up to the line and put the ball right down the middle and into the back of the net to put the Monarchs up 3-2, a lead they held until the end for the win.  

“It was great to see him score the game winner,” Mayfield said. “Especially with it being his last home game so it was a moment that none of us will ever forget.”  

It was just right that a senior was able to put in the game winning goal on senior night in a close game.  

“This game felt different,” Mayfield said. “Every game you have that feeling in your stomach but this game was just different.”