Funding an Education

Applying to college is no small task, and financial aid is a huge part of it.

This+chart+shows+the+amount+of+money+given+to+students+based+on+how+many+credit+hours+they+take+each+semester+and+which+school+they+attend.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Funding an Education

This chart shows the amount of money given to students based on how many credit hours they take each semester and which school they attend.

Delani Watkins, Copy Editor

Affording a higher education can be difficult, especially for a high school student that has just finished the full-time job of going to school.  

To assist students in these endeavors, there are a plethora of scholarships available to those who apply for them.  

The Susan Thompson Buffett Foundation awards scholarships based on a lengthy application process. A complete application consists of high school transcripts, a personal essay and two letters of recommendation. 

“The scholarship focuses on background instead of academics, and that’s something that makes it unique,” senior scholarship recipient Esmeralda Chavez said.  

The Buffett scholarship applies towards tuition and fees, books and housing. However, the scholarship is only for students attending schools in the state of Nebraska.  

“I plan on going to [the University of Nebraska at Omaha] to major in pre-physician assisting,” Chavez said.  

The scholarship also requires the recipients to take certain classes and attend meetings.  

The application for the Buffett Scholarship opens on Nov. 1 each year. You can learn more and apply at buffettscholarships.org.