• May 18PLPulse.com is out for the summer, check back in the fall for the same, great content!

Off to the Highlands

Senior Kaitlyn Caines will be attending the University of Aberdeen in Scotland after graduating high school.

Above is one of the buildings on the University of Aberdeen's campus.

studyinscotland.org

Joanna Walton, Staff Writer

Anyone who has visited other parts of the United States knows that just because someone speaks English does not mean you can understand what they say. Now, imagine flying across the ocean to Scotland and attempting to not just visit, but live there for four years. 

Senior Kaitlyn Caines plans to take on the dialect and culture barriers and go to college at the University of Aberdeen in Scotland. 

“It’s a bit nerve-racking,” Caines said about the process of applying for a foreign college. With all the paper work to get a visa and to transfer credits, it is a much more time consuming process than applying for college in one’s own country – a task that is difficult enough on its own. 

Caines’ primary interest is mythology and folklore, which lead her to enroll in Aberdeen’s Celtic and Gaelic major with Anglo-Saxon Studies. This program dives into the history, culture and languages of the British and Irish Isles. 

“Career-wise, currently I was thinking something with museums,” Caines said. Though she is still deciding the career path she wants to pursue, the decision to go to Scotland was an easy and early one. 

Since she was born outside of the United States in Japan, she has a deep connection to foreign places, so she was eager to “get out of Nebraska.”

Even with prior experience, a new city thousands of miles away is still a significant change. However, Caines’ said that Aberdeen may be a big city, but it is so geographically isolated that it is not overwhelming. 

Most of all, the challenge for Caines is new people, places, and even social norms with which she has never come into contact before. 

“Here, you are relatively clueless going into new schools, but you know what to ask,” Caines said.

Living in Scotland will be a huge adjustment, but it is nothing a Monarch cannot handle.