• November 20Happy Thanksgiving Break!

Show Choir Auditions

Students try out for the 2019 show choir season.

Varsity show choir, Free Spirit, performs their ballad at their end of the year celebration.

Olivia Love

Olivia Love

Dakota Kelley, Staff Writer

For some, show choir auditions are one of the nerve-racking parts of being a part of show choir. For others, it’s just another formality and comes without the nerves. Nevertheless, auditions are a part of the process of show choir and is the kick off the season.  

After all the hard work and early mornings, some may ask why would anyone want to do that for a week straight? The answer is simple; they do it for the love of performing.  

“It is a long process [that has] made me work hard, sweat and made me perform my best,” junior Ian Sparks said.  

From the perspective of someone who is brand new to the department, it’s a lot different. While they feel differently, in the end, they don’t regret it one bit.  

“I think people should just audition, and try this new thing because it does require a lot of hard work, but it is so much fun and you make a lot of new friends,” freshmen Kylie Gruver said. 

For a whole week, with the audition at the end of the week, students learn a portion of a song and a choreographed dance to go along with it. Over this week you try to perfect this routine and try out for the group you want to be in. 

“The audition process is learning the song and dance, and after the first 2 days you just practice for the last day (audition day),” Gruver said. 

Through this time, you can meet a lot of new people if you’re new to the department or just time to practice performing with your friends. 

“It helps you get out of your shell, puts you on stage, you learn to dance and sing and perform, you meet so many people and bond with the groups so well that you become a big family,” Sparks said. 

Show choir auditions are a special part of the show choir process. Auditions can either be really fun and not stressful at all, or stressful and nerve-racking. Those will understand how much hard work and time it takes auditioning for show choir. 

About the Writer
Dakota Kelley, Staff Writer

Dakota Kelley is a junior, this is his first year on the scepter staff. Dakota is in the PLHS varsity show choir Free Spirit and has been in show choir...