• November 20Happy Thanksgiving Break!

Atop the Podium

Senior drum majors Jace Armstrong, Sabrina Buls and junior Amy Roach step up to the podium for the 2018 Monarch marching band season .

Junior drum major Amy Roach directs the band through pregame.

Kenzi Ward

Kenzi Ward

Rachel Pham, Staff Writer

Halftime: a time that gives football players and members of the audience a chance to settle down from the intense atmosphere of continuous plays and cheers. The band hustles down to the turf, eager to showcase all they have worked for.

For three members of the Monarch marching band, however, halftime marks the beginning of a long-awaited performance, not on the field, but on top of the podium. 

The marching season begins long before the first step off at Foundation Field.

Senior band members Jace Armstrong, Sabrina Buls and junior Amy Roach took the title of drum major at the end of last school year. 

Drum majors act as the base of any band. All eyes and ears are on them as they keep time and call out commands. With the entire band looking up to you, a good character is essential. 

“As a drum major, you have to have good leadership and be mature,” Roach said. 

Being drum major is more than just keeping tempo. Standing in front of over 120 students as a leading figure places another layer of responsibility on their shoulders. 

“You need to lead the band, not just by conducting, but as a role model,” Roach said. 

Contrary to that of a singular musician on the field, a drum major must always keep the whole picture of the team in mind and think of more than just themselves to keep the band moving. 

“The responsibility has changed from making sure I know my part to making sure I can communicate to the band from the podium,” Armstrong said. 

With every activity comes the long nights and early mornings of practices, and band is no exception. However, watching the team you’ve led throughout the season perform out on the field brings a sense of satisfaction and pride. 

“Seeing the band all work together and put…so much effort and time into this is completely worth it,” Roach said. 

The time and effort that is put into, not only the drill, but the music is also evident from the top of the podium. 

“When the band plays [our song] right, I get goosebumps,” Buls said. 

The drum majors of our Monarch marching band will continue to stand tall and proud over the band in hopes that the entire band’s hard work and dedication can be reflected through just seven minutes of field time. 

About the Writer
Rachel Pham, Staff Writer

Senior Rachel Pham is starting her first year on the Scepter staff as a writer. When she's not writing stories, she enjoys playing in the marching band...