Haunted House

Hey there boo-tiful! Please don’t scream when I tell you this, but you’re pretty spooktacular. With Halloween drawing near, these puns are setting the mood for this upcoming holiday. But that’s not the only thing getting involved in the Halloween spirit. 

Monarch thespians are preparing for the occasion by setting up the annual PLHS haunted house. Leader of the thespians Mrs. Grasso, has been working hard with students to set up for the Fears Unleashed haunted house. All students that participate will be giving out way more tricks than treats this Halloween.  

Many people enjoy Halloween but not just for the candy. It is a great holiday full of decorations and family time.  

“I love dressing up and having fun,” Junior Ashley Kobza said. “I also like watching scary movies with friends and family.” 

Even though people think of Spooky season as scary, it is not always everyone’s ideal time of the year. Haunted houses are one of the many reasons why. Dealing with the scary clowns and crazy killers, it is just not everyone’s cup of tea. 

“I’m honestly terrified of them,” Sophomore Mykena Turner said.  

However, many students are involved in the Papillion-LaVista High Schools annual haunted house. Hearing about it from friends and teachers inspired many of them to join in on the fun.  

“I first heard about it from the drama department when I was a freshman in drama 1,” Kobza said.  

The drama department gives many new and exciting opportunities to students who have not necessarily been involved in the performing arts world. Many students were very inspired by their peers to join the PLHS haunted house.  

“The haunted house seemed interesting and I just really wanted to join,” Turner said. “I’m excited to scare people.”  

The schools’ haunted house is many different ideas and themes mashed together to make the haunted house come together. While the theme changes every year, the setup process stays the same. 

“We mainly just look at each room and decide what is going to happen and what each room will need,” Turner said. “Most of the preparation time is us running through things to prepare for when people come.”  

While Turners favorite part of the PLHS haunted house is the makeup and costume, that’s not the only thing that students are looking forward to.  

“I’m looking forward to having fun with the friends in my room and scaring people,” Kobza said. 

Students work from late Sept. to Oct. 28 to setup the haunted house that takes place on the 29 and 30. Haunted house funds usually end up going to the drama department to use for other things such as spring musical. Bu this year that’s not the case. 

“This year the funds of the haunted house are going to the performing arts trip to Florida this summer,” Turner said. 

Although the annual haunted house is put together by the Play Pro class, many other students don’t get a say in what the theme should be. Both Turner and Kobza have said they would like to see a theme of evil clowns.  

Don’t be a scaredy cat, visit the Fears Unleashed haunted house!