• November 20Happy Thanksgiving Break!

District Volleyball TONIGHT

The Monarchs look to qualify for the state volleyball tournament tonight at The Palace.

Junior setter Brooklyn Schram sets the ball against Millard West on Aug. 30. The monarchs fell to the Wildcats in four sets.

Ashley Mason

Ashley Mason

Josey Ryan, Sports Editor

The crowd goes silent. The girls line up on opposite baselines, only a net separating the two teams that will give their all for the chance to win this year’s state tournament. All the hard work of lifting, running and practicing every day for 3 months is put to the final test in this moment. The announcer begins saying the lineups, and each player, as their name is called, takes a step forward, waves and takes a step backward. The announcer gets all the way through both teams who then shake hands. The teams then gather for a last minute pep talk, and finally take the floor for the last time. The line judge blows their whistle, and the first serve is up in the air.

The 2018 PLHS monarch volleyball team has the chance to play in this scene. However, they first must win the A-5 district championship.

“We feel pretty confident going in, but we have to keep our minds focused on the games and not the outcomes,” senior Karli Eckert said.

The Monarchs will open up district play as the number one seed against the four seed Benson Bunnies, but earning a one seed in districts did not come easily.

“Our season has had a lot of ups and downs, but we have try to focus on how much we improved rather than our record,” Eckert said. “So I feel like we have grown individually, but we have also grown stronger as a team.”

For Eckert, and her fellow seniors Hannah Smith and Abigail Meyer, it will be one last time they get to play with each other on the PLHS court.

“It’s honestly bittersweet knowing this is my last home game I will ever play for the Monarchs, but I am excited for the future, and the Monarch program in general,” Eckert said.

Before Eckert finishes her last game with the program, they will look to clinch a district title and a berth to the 2018 state tournament.

“We have been working our butts off non-stop in practice.” Meyer said. “We have earned this.”

If the Monarchs beat the Bunnies tonight, Oct. 31 at 4:30, they will go on to play the winner of Lincoln High vs. Lincoln Southeast at 7:15 tonight at PLHS.

About the Contributors
Josey Ryan, Sports Editor

Josey is a junior in her second year on the Scepter staff. She enjoys playing basketball and soccer. She also likes to play with her little brother.

Ashley Mason, News editor

Junior Ashley Mason is a second year returning staff member who is acting as this years news editor. She enjoys long-boarding and exploring the outdoors.