• December 13Choir Concert @ 7:00 in the Auditorium Tonight

Let it Grow

"No Shave November" and "Movember" are dedicated to mustaches, beards, and promoting awareness for men's health.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Let it Grow

Mr. Jay Ball, participant of

Mr. Jay Ball, participant of "No Shave November."

Chloe Grimm

Chloe Grimm

Chloe Grimm

Lily Allpress, Assistant Editor-in-Chief of PLPulse

It’s that time of year again, the time where people are encouraged to grow out their body hair for “No Shave November” and “Movember”. In case you didn’t know, both organizations encourage people to grow out their hair for the month of November. Who started this, and where did it come from?  

Like most people, I see November as a time to admire newly grown beards and prickly legs. The meanings behind these organizations are inspiring, but at the same time “No Shave November” is a time to embrace the growth of body hair and have fun. 

There are two new names for November, “No Shave November” and “Movember”. Both strive to promote awareness for men’s health and raise money for charity. “Movember” encourages men to grow out their mustache to spur conversation about testicular and prostate cancer. “No Shave November” works to inspire people to grow out their hair and donate the money they would’ve spent on razors and shaving cream to The American Cancer Society. Both encourage women to participate as well. Women can participate by not shaving and not cutting their hair, similar to men. 

The meanings behind this month brings a heavier topic to the table, specifically testicular and prostate cancer in men. These are things that normally hide in the shadows, never to be seen or heard about. That is why the people behind these names created “No Shave November” and “Movember”. It’s a clever way to spark conversation and get people to donate to a good cause. 

Make sure to enjoy and admire the many hairy transformations of men and women alike this month who are supporting men’s health awareness.

Other Interesting Articles:

https://tinyurl.com/ya8wunnt

https://tinyurl.com/yboaodw9

[polldaddy poll=10157312]

About the Contributors
Lily Allpress, Assistant Editor-In-Chief of PLPulse

Senior Lily Allpress is on her second year on staff, and is now acting as the Assistant Editor-In-Chief of PLPulse. She enjoys driving around in her car...

Chloe Grimm, Entertainment Editor

Chloe is a junior and beginning her second year on staff. She enjoys anything Harry Styles and talking about TV shows that she's just getting into, but...