• Boys Varsity Soccer Game @ 5:30

• Girls JV Tennis Match @ 4:00

• Boys JV Soccer Game @ 3:30

Cutting the Inequality

Girls sports do not cut players, which causes problems among the teams and budgets.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Cutting the Inequality

Annie Waldman, Opinion Editor

School sports tryouts are usually used to weed out the less experienced players and set different teams. For girls, however, the former is not a common practice. 

Girls sports have been overflowing with players for year, yet the coaches cannot do anything about it. PLHS has long had a precedent that coaches are not allowed to cut female players, even though boys can be cut.  

With this rule in place, evidently to avoid any emotional bruising of the female players, it pushes the stereotype that girls are emotionally weak. If they are strong enough physically to play sports, they should be strong enough emotionally to be cut from the team. And if still this is a concern for these players, where is this concern for the mental well-being of boys? It is the goal of schools to maintain even treatment of boys and girls, but this rule blatantly defies it.  

If anything, this rule enforces discrimination. If a boys team can cut players, a girls team should be able to do the same. Title IX keeps sports fair and competitive for both boys and girls, but competition is rendered null and void if every girl that tries out must be included. Boys JV and reserve teams thrive with a smaller and more selective team, but lower-level girls teams contain high numbers of players that do not play significant time. To most competitive athletes, this sounds worse than just being cut from the team in the first place. 

By allowing everyone to play, teams unnecessarily fill up. Since more jerseys need to be purchased to keep up with the high numbers of players being kept on teams, more money from the athletic budget is wasted. If girls could be cut from teams, the school would ultimately save money and resources. Typically, girls sports do not have a ton of funding to begin with; by spending money on extra uniforms it drains the little budget that they do have, forcing the team to fundraise for equipment, which, unfortunately, is not a reliable source of revenue.  

We should get rid of this useless and ultimately damaging rule and allow coaches to cut players from teams. Girls teams would be more comparable to their male counterparts, making competition more fair. The only way to make teams truly equal is to have the same base rules and precedents.

This rule exemplifies the outdated and insulting expectation that girls are not emotionally prepared to be cut from a sports team, and it is a glaring problem that needs to be fixed.  

About the Writer
Annie Waldman, Staff Writer

Annie Waldman is a sophomore and a first year Scepter staff member. She is involved in soccer, cross country, and circle of friends.