Snow Day Madness

With snow days being so common this year, students have become frigid towards our superintendent.

It’s Sunday night and you didn’t do any of your homework, so you wait for the snow storm to pass through tonight, hoping it’s enough to call off school. Your Twitter feed is filled with students harassing Dr. Rikli into giving us yet another snow day. 

Dr. Rikli and the other superintendents get pressured into a snow day every time it snows. Should they really get bullied into making their decisions just so you can know whether you should play on your game console all night or finish your Netflix series? 

Now, I’m not saying that snow days are terrible because, believe me, I want snow days as much as the next person. I sleep with my pajamas inside out and flush ice down the toilet, but bullying our superintendent? That crosses the line. 

Some tweets directed towards him are harmless and funny, but some are straight up rude, and I get secondhand embarrassment for those who tweeted the mean tweets. 

Constantly begging for a snow day is desperate and ruthless. Your opinion on whether or not we should have a snow day does not affect the superintendent’s decision to call off school. 

Making funny memes and tagging Rikli is acceptable, especially when featuring his cat, Linus, but don’t tell him he is rude for not calling school off. It’s a hard decision and I’m sure it’s a long thought process. 

Luckily for us, Dr. Rikli is kind and goes along with everything that is tweeted at him and responds to them in a respectable manner. 

After already having six snow days, I think we’ve had plenty of time at home. We don’t need to call off school every time it snows because already going to school until May 29 is enough for me. 

And most students have already asked why we don’t have more built-in snow days because this is Nebraska, of course. Well, if we had ten built-in snow days, we wouldn’t get a day off each month, or we would have to be at school longer just to get all the school hours in that are required by the state. 

If we add time to the end of each school day, it may never be taken off again and we’d be stuck going to school for extra time for each following year. Who wants to risk that?

When we do have a snow day though, it’s not like every student stays safe inside, like it’s meant to be. Most students go driving around with their friends or hangout outside in the freezing cold, even though school was cancelled for dangerous roads or the severity of the cold. 

Yes, snow days are fun, but don’t harass Dr. Rikli. He’ll make his decision based on what he feels is best for the district and our safety.