Going Beyond The Classroom

When Mrs. Meredith L’Heureux first came to PLHS, she saw a big opportunity for the female singers. This opportunity would continue for years and bring creation beyond the classroom. 

This opportunity is known as Nebraska Women’s Choral Festival. It is a refreshing time for different schools to get together and sing a variety of music. The festival will take place on April 8th and will last the whole day. Mrs. L’Heureux will take both classes of Serendipity Singers and any ladies from Concert Choir that would like to go. 

Before going the students spend the school year preparing with choir classes. But choir classes are more than just singing for most students, it is a class that brings joy on bad day and a reminder that you have a whole class that has your back. 

“I like how it is a second family, everyone supports you and they are always there for you,” junior Lewe Gilli said.  

When there is an all men’s choir and all women’s choir, the personalities of the students can easily be seen when they first come to high school as a freshman. 

“Ladies end up being less shy because there are no boys,” Mrs. L’heureux said. 

Once it is time for Women’s Fest, the singers are ready to be themselves on stage and grow vocally. Each choir that comes to Women’s Fest has their own individual rehearsals for music they chose to do and then the choirs will come together to sing the songs chosen by the directors that put on the event. 

“We sing music from our February concert,” Mrs. L’Heureux said. “Then at a 7:00pm concert we sing the festival songs together [with other schools] and we also listen to other choirs sing their songs.” 

Along with singing the students also get some independence from adults and a break from school. 

“You get to see how girls react and prepare to be alone during the day, instead of being with a teacher all day,” Mrs. L’Heureux said. “They get too go out on the city campus of UNL for lunch, dinner and free time.”  

In the end choosing this type of field trip was simple for the choir directors, because of the multiple benefits. 

“It is an easy choice for a field trip, we are working towards a common goal and it is fun and educational,” Mrs. L’Heureux said. 

The day of work is over, and it is time to take what the students have learned at UNL into the classroom, to finish off the school year strong.