Dancing Queens

You can dance, you can jive, having the time of your life ooh, see that girl, watch that scene, dig in the dancing queen. 

This year the spring musical is MammMia, students will be performing in this show from March 27-31 in the PLHS auditorium.  

Before students started rehearsing, they had auditions which was a weeklong event full of competition to get a chance to perform in front of dozens of people in a sold-out auditorium. 

“First, we had to memorize a monologue we chose, next we had to sing a section of two different songs, then we had our dance auditions,” Freshman Mikayla Young said.  

The performers have been rehearsing since winter break and have had nonstop practices until the curtain call. 

“We rehearse every day except Friday, most weeks its four days a week some weeks we practice up to five,” Freshman Sydney Pudenz said.  

Since the start rehearsals students have been preparing for the show, which is when some performers will make their onstage musical debut. Young is excited to perform in the musical, but also nervous, “I’ve performed before but that was in show choir, but show choir is different than the musical. In show choir you can just look at the person in front of you if you don’t know what to do, in the musical you can’t you’re just on your own”. 

During any high school event there are usually separations between the upper class men and the lower class men, but in the musical it’s all inclusive. 

“As a freshman you’re still apart of the group, it’s just like being in any other grade except you’re new to the musical world,” Pudenz said.  

As younger grades start coming into the high school and joining activities they start to look up to the older kids, who have been involved for a longer time, and take as many pointers as they can. 

“whenever I perform, I think of Julia Cambell because she’s responsible and talented.” Young said. “she is also one of the leads which makes me admire her even more”.  

I have a dream, a song to sing to help me cope with anything if you see the wonder of a fairy tale you can take the future even if you fail. If you want to be a part of the musical in future years take a chance and go for it like Pudenz and Young did.