How to Save a Life

A patient is bleeding out and in need of blood. A nurse goes to get the bright red blood to keep the patient alive but, there is not enough to save the patient. Car crash victims, blood transfusions for after surgery patients, in these situations people need blood to survive or help gain their strength back. One pint of blood can save up to three lives. Those three lives have families and friends and by donating it can help save someone in need of blood.  

On March 1st, Papillion Lavista High School HOSA team hosted a blood drive in the north gym of the school. Throughout the week the team recruited over 100 students to donate their blood to those in need.  

“It is nice knowing I could make a change in someone’s life by saving it,” Sophomore Zachary Long said. 

Many HOSA members skipped out on their education time to help run the blood drive and make sure people were okay after the donating process. 

“You get to see all of the people that donate,” Junior HOSA member Ally Engleman said. “You meet many new people and make sure that they are okay after donating.” 

Many students want to get involve with their communities by doing something that can change a life.  

“It feels like a good thing to do,” Long said. “I am able to help out and provide some type of benefit to others, and I don’t get very many opportunities to do stuff like that at the high school.” 

HOSA members that volunteer have a big role when it comes to the donating process. Without them it would be difficult to make sure everyone donating stays safe and healthy. 

“I walk around and talk to the donors to keep their minds off of what’s going on,” Engleman said. “I make sure they have lots of fluids and food to keep them hydrated and happy.” 

After a blood donation, donors have different reactions such as being a little light headed or dehydrated. 

Long’s firsttime donating was on March 1st, after the donation he explained that he only had a little amount of pain in his arm but, it was to be expected. 

There are many ways to help the donation process go smoothly. 

“For anyone donating,” Engleman said. “Make sure you eat and drink lots of fluids prior to donating!”  

Deciding to donate can be a hard decision but, just like Long explained you walk away knowing you saved not only one life but, three very important lives.