The Construction

When you are running late to school the last thing you want is a backparking spot. Now, no matter how early you get to school, chances are you are getting a back spot. Once you are finished hiking into the building from your car, you still have a long journey from the North Gym entrance to get to the main part of the building. All this trouble is because of a big project going on that has taken out part of the parking-lot. 

At Papillion LaVista High School there have been some major construction changes going on in the back parking-lot to build a new freshman wing, this project is scheduled to finish the summer of 2022. The construction has affected almost everyone in the building, in one way or another. 

The plan for the new wing will be a great asset for the school, when it is finished, despite the inconvenience it has created so far. 

“It’s going to provide more space for our students and be a real asset for our students, and it will be great for our stem programs,” eleventh grade teacher, Mrs. Boudreau said.  

One of those inconveniences is the distraction and commotion the construction has caused. 

“You can hear [the construction] and its distracting when the floor is vibrating, or when the bathroom line is cut, senior Megan Davey said.  

The building isn’t the only thing directly affected by the new project, the tennis courts have been completely removed, as well. However, Mrs. Boudreau, who is also the girl’s tennis coach, does not seem worried about it affecting the upcoming season. 

“We already have a plan in place for that,” Mrs. Boudreau said. “We won’t be right on campus, but we are getting new courts built.” 

Not everyone is looking at each problem as something with a beneficial outcome. 

“The construction annoys me because it’s just an extra hassle when I was almost done with school,” Davey said. 

However, even the people aggravated by the construction agree it is overall a good thing for the school. 

“I think [the construction] will be worth it because the design for the new parts of the school are really cool,” Davey said. 

Despite the upset this plan has caused, it will be great and look great.  

“We already have a wonderful building, but it will be aesthetically nice to look at and have more benefits for students, Mrs. Boudreau said.  

It is very clear that this project, while a bother at timeswill end up being a really great thing for Papillion LaVista High School in the future, and we are excited to see the outcome of it.