A New Chapter

Mrs. Carmen Anderson becomes the new librarian.

Mrs.+Carmen+Anderson+passes+out+cotton+candy+to+members+of+the+book+club.+The+book+club+is+reading+Full+Tilt%2C+which+is+about+a+carnival+so+they+are+eating+carnival+themed+food.+

Caitlyn Ryan

Mrs. Carmen Anderson passes out cotton candy to members of the book club. The book club is reading Full Tilt, which is about a carnival so they are eating carnival themed food.

Mrs. Carmen Anderson reads a story aloud to a group of young students. Sitting in front of her, she sees a boy throw his head back, with tears rolling down his face from laughing so hard. It was at this moment that she realized the power of literature, and that she wanted to work as a librarian, surrounded by books and stories.

Anderson took the librarian position this year after previously teaching English classes. While she will miss teaching, she is excited for her position as the librarian and the opportunity to build relationships with even more students.

“Already I feel like I’ve seen former students, and I’m getting to know new students,” Anderson said. “It’s wonderful to have conversations about books, but also anything going on in their lives, how they’re involved and what they’re interested in beyond just books.”

In addition to being excited about making connections with students, Anderson also has goals for the library itself.

“I at some point would like to start a literary magazine for students who have interest in writing creatively, like short fiction and poetry,” Anderson said.

Anderson is now also in charge of the book club where students vote on a book, read it and meet weekly in the library to discuss it.

“It’s just a time for students to come and get to know one another, make new friends, and have good conversations,” Anderson said.

As Anderson continues her journey as the librarian, she hopes to continue to build relationships and to use the power of literature to make kids laugh.