Working Against the Monarch vs Titans Rivalry

18 years ago, the biggest rivalry in Papillion started. A rivalry that keeps the sports seasons exciting for everyone involved. The Titans and Monarchs have been feuding for what seems like a lifetime, but for some teams they have to work together and ignore the rivalry for the sake of the team. 

Kids in academies or specific sports have to work with the Titans to make a joint team of amazing students. Sophomores Emily Mazur and Kara Haffke have worked with some of these Titans on the swim and baton teams, making memories both good and bad! 

“I’ve been swimming for about 7 years,” Mazur said. “ and I’ve been on the swim team since my freshman year.”

“I’ve been a part of the P-Town twirlers for 2 years now and I really enjoy it,” Haffke said.

Being a part of any sport or activity is time consuming, with so many practices it is hard to keep up. Practices all work differently, especially when you have kids from so many different places and activities joining together.

“We rehearse Sundays for about 2 hours every week,” Haffke said. “We create and perfect our routines during that.”

First impressions are key no matter the occasion. First impressions on the Titans don’t seem to be so good though so far. Mazur admitted to feeling gross after realizing that she would have to work with them.

Thoughts on the Titans are varying but, it’s not all that bad. It seems that for Mazur and Haffke the best part of this situation is the new people that they’ve met along the way.

“It is cool working with the Titans because I’m friends with a lot of them.” Haffke said.

“You get to meet new people that you don’t go to school with.” Mazur said.

Advice for things like this can be really useful when doing sports with a different set of people, especially for freshmen.

“Don’t be annoying or negative,” Mazur said. “A positive environment only.”

All and all, the rivalry might make the Titans seem like actual brutal titans, but they don’t seem too bad to work with.