Student Council

Student+Council

Football. Soccer. Baseball. Tennis. Track. Art. Leo Club. All these extracurricular activities have something in common, the people who are passionate about them. Papillion LaVista High School offers numerous clubs and sports, and certain activities spark joy for different people. 

Student Council is a group oriented club that promotes leadership and volunteering opportunities for PLHS and our community as a whole. All members bring a different perspective and opinion to the club. This provides for inclusive discussions and helps improve teamwork and communication.

The drive to be a part of the student council is different for everyone. It varies between students based on what part of the club is most intriguing to them and what they excel at.

“ I wanted to be involved in helping with school events and our community in general,” Sophomore Alexis Hoang said.

For others, Student Council gives them a chance to connect with other members and provides an opportunity for those people to put their creative juices to work by planning events and brainstorming ideas to benefit our school and community.

“ I love event planning, decorating, organizing community service events, and I adore working with Mrs Kimball (Student Council Advisor),” Senior Roshu Senthil said. “ I love giving my time to make StuCo a fun club for everyone, not just me.” 

There is also a lot of effort and time put into the preparation of our school dances such as the winter formal that was put on this past weekend. Things such as deciding on the theme, putting up and ordering decorations, selling tickets, finding a DJ, creating a playlist, setting a date, and putting up flyers.

“ On the day of the dance, we will meet at the school at 7 AM and set up everything until about 11 AM,” Sentil said. “ Then of course after the dance, we tear everything down.”

Furthermore, members expressed their favorite part about being in StuCco is meeting new people, taking charge in a leadership position, or seeing their hard work pay off. Not only that, but being able to go outside of our school and help out our community.

“This year we are able to visit various elementary schools to read to the students and I am very excited,” Hoang said.

For those contemplating being in StuCo or freshman interested in this club are recommended to try out because of the positive and uplifting atmosphere that the members bring to the table. It’s also a great opportunity to try out for a leadership position and have your opinions be heard and valued by a devoted group of students.

“ My advice is to go after a leadership position in the club that is offered,” Hoang said.

There are a lot of different avenues, opportunities, and perceptions in StuCo that shape each member’s motivations and goals for the club. These are fueled by a passion that grows stronger when getting to work with friends and bettering our school and community.