Journalism At Monarch High

Write, edit, rewrite, publish. This is the journalistic process.Student journalism is a major part of many PLHS students’ lives. It tells students what is going on in the school, and after, as well as keeping parents informed on the activities that students enjoy throughout the year. 

Sophomores Hayden Hatch and Kooper Popejoy enjoy PLHS journalism from behind the scenes of the two classes offered. Both have been involved in journalism for 2 years and impact they’re groups with their exposes.d

“I impact the group by doing my assigned story and getting it ready to be put on the website (PLPulse),” Hatch said.

Popejoy works hard and when he isn’t present he still gets his work done. 

“It slows the group down when I don’t have my part ready,” Popejoy said. 

Hatch explained that PLPulse uses resources from the school and works within the group to decide who works on what story.

Upperclassmen often have advice for upcoming journalists. This advice often helps lead the future journalists of the Monarchs to become better in their trade.

“My advice is to take it slow, don’t get stressed or rush things because that just makes stories not as good,” Hatch said. 

Popejoy has a similar approach to journalism. He explains that journalism can be stressful especially when things don’t go the way you want them to but don’t let that stop you from writing.

In journalism, you have to put the time in.

“I work during class each day and take pictures at games,”Popejoy said. 

Your workload is assigned periodically and it is important to get it done in time for publication.

“This past deadline cycle I only got one story out, however, I plan to get at least a couple out for this cycle,” Hatch said. 

Working together with other staff members is a major part in the journalism process.

“ I work with a pretty small group of people, there’s seven of us I believe,” Hatch said. 

Popejoy tells us that he works with a different group for different pages of the yearbook.

Journalism is a great way to learn to better work with others and increase the ability to work punctually. Determination is so important to keep a journalist going. If a writer is not determined to keep working and improving their abilities, then they will not want to work until the story is done or edit until the story is as good as it can be.