REVIEW: The Real Hogwarts Experience

Hogwarts Legacy, created by Avalanche Games, is a top seller game that has reached expectations and created an immersive world to explore.

This long awaited adventure inspired by “Harry Potter” is finally here. The opportunity to explore and experience the life of a Hogwarts student in the brand new “Hogwarts Legacy” is one that people have been dying to experience since not just the movies but the books have come out. 

The game came out this past week on February 10, 2023, two and a half years after its initial announcement, and is available to those playing on the Playstation 5, Xbox Series X and PC. Most people have opted for the base game, but those lucky to get the deluxe edition have enjoyed the luxury of having access to the game 3 days early.

With the game now out for everyone, it seems it has reached and even exceeded expectations. The game starts you out as a fifth year student at Hogwarts in the 19th century, and you have to get caught up with all your peers. This means for lots of extra assignments and quests to complete, and alongside professor Fig, you find out you have the power to see ancient magic after an encounter with the goblin rebels.

There are a multitude of places to explore, not only at the castle but in the hamlets nearby. There are new collectables, characters to meet and a large story to unfold. You can opt to explore more than engaging in story or fully immerse yourself in the main story line and ignore the side quests.

The route many people are taking with their character is to follow the dark arts. You learn these skills from Sebastian, a Slytherin, and you are then able to curse your enemies or more deadly, casting the unforgivable curse, Avada Kedavra, which instantly evaporates whoever you cast it upon.

I totally recommend this game if you love open world exploration. The story twists and turns and some side quests turn into a crazy adventure in itself; you never know what is going to happen next.

The story explores every edge of the map and no place feels deserted or forgotten about. While in the castle there is never a dull moment as you can see students talking about their classes, or even Peeves, a poltergeist, causing mayhem everywhere he looks.

With all the opportunities open to you in this magical world, there is always something new to explore or someone to help. Will you follow the light or turn to the unforgivable?