Diversity in the Library

The hook, to the characters, to the plot, to the setting, to the build up, to the climax, and all the way back down to the resolution, are of the plenty factors that make a novel a page turner. 

The Library has an ever growing variety of books intentionally  suitable for any audience, background, or group on account of  Librarian Carmen Anderson who aims to make all students feel included. 

“I feel like I work to make it welcoming, and inclusive for all and I hope that if students feel like it isn’t, or there isn’t someone being represented here, that they’d come to me,” Anderson said.

Everything about the shelves has been put on display with careful and thought through intent, and opposite to that, there’s no room on the shelves for content that could be potentially damaging to students.

“I think it’s important that you see yourself, but I also think it’s important that you see others, like people who have an experience other than your own, so that it can also be a learning environment,” Anderson said. 

Diversity and inclusion is something important to students and lack thereof does not go unnoticed by them. 

“It’s important to me to see representation in books of characters that look like me and my friends and family,” senior Nyakera Kuek said.

Knowing the damage that could be done, Anderson takes into consideration how the lack of diversity and inclusion could affect her readers.

“I don’t think students would want to come in, if they didn’t see themselves here. When you feel like this place is about you, you would want to come in,” Anderson said.

In the library, the shelves  reflect the wants of the students. Knowing the students’ interests in authors and favorite genres is something Anderson makes known to herself to make the library more welcoming to them.

“I’m really happy to see this many students who have an interest in poetry but within those books, we are making sure to represent all,”Anderson said.

So the hook, the characters, the plot, the setting, the climax and the resolution do in fact make a novel a page turner, but so does the applicableness of the content to the reader. Diversity and inclusion find their way to almost everything, even the library’s shelves.