Freshman Year

Photo by Hudson Carrico

The start of a new year can be very difficult, especially the first year of high school. The scary yet exciting freshman year. That means new friends, new classes, and new teachers. So many new and exciting things. Many freshmen can be either very nervous or thrilled for their first day of high school.

Back to school at PLHS and we have a huge group of nervous freshmen who are ready to start the first day of school.

“I felt lost,” freshman Khot Wan said. “Because of the new building that is hard to get around.”

Not all people are nervous on the first day. While other people felt nervous or scared on the first day, some felt alright.

“I felt okay,” freshman Alexis Granillo said. “A little nervous but I was okay.”

The freshmen are the youngest people in the school building. Some upperclassmen treat them as if they are babies. 

“I feel like we get treated differently from everyone else,” Granillo said. “In sports they make us do the extra work that they don’t want to do and they make us carry the goals in soccer.”

As for others, they think that all of us get treated equally. 

“I feel like we are all treated the same way,” freshman Alissa Cummins said. “No one is treated differently.”

We are already more than halfway through the school year and these freshmen are growing up to become sophomores.

“I feel good about being a sophomore,” Granillo said. “I have more friends that I get to talk to all day and also soccer season is starting so that’s good.”

Some are ready for this school year to be over and can’t wait to leave.

“I am really excited,” Cummins said. “But I am also really nervous.”

This school year for the new group of freshmen, they’ve had a lot of changes from middle school. There have been some advantages to being a highschool student.

“They aren’t as strict on things,” Wan said. “Like the phones and listening to music.”

There are also some disadvantages to starting a new year at a new school.

“I miss middle school a little,” Granillo said. “I just miss my old friends but I do like the sports here in high school.”

Although we may have lost some of our friends in middle school we have some great bonds with the teachers at PLHS.

“I would have to say Mrs. Fraser has had a huge impact on my life,” Wan said. “She’s very helpful and energetic during class and she always has a positive attitude.”

We have the most helpful teachers here at PLHS. They are always willing to help and push students to do their best.

“Mr. Bails helped me out a lot,” Cummins said. “He’s always outgoing and pushes me to do my best.”

Although high school can seem to be stressful or scary, try and put yourself out there to meet new people at school. Make bonds with teachers and other students. You can always make the best memories with the right people at PLHS.