Impending Pressure

Photo By: David Gottner

Whether you’re planning on applying to Harvard or a local University the pressure for the future seems to always be hovering over students’ heads these days.

The bar for college seems to be getting set higher and higher every year. GPA is no longer enough, nowadays students are forced to maintain an unrealistic schedule that balances sports, clubs, volunteer hours, and perfect grades. Not only are students expected to thrive in their classes, they are also expected to be enrolled in the most difficult classes to bring more of a spotlight towards them for colleges.

“I’m in AP government and for Honors I’m enrolled in Anatomy, Physics, and Algebra 2,” PLHS junior Jenna Newman said. “I’m also involved in HOSA and Junior Committee.” 

Newman isn’t alone in her ambitions though, as other juniors and seniors are also often enrolled in strenuous classes to stand out more.

“I’m in AP US Government and Honors American Literature,” PLHS junior Reese Morrison said. “I’m also inclined in soccer and did cheerleading this year.”

College is a stressful decision most students come to make. Although college is not for everyone, the ones who do decide to go may feel more pressure to get accepted into their dream school.

“I feel pressure sometimes because I want to get into a good college,” Newman said. “I have a list of schools I’d like to visit, but I’m looking at UNO or UNL mostly, they’re competitive.”

It’s clear that Newman isn’t the only one that feels the pressure of the future. Alysha Manning also shares her thoughts on some of the pressure she feels for the future and life after high school. 

“I definitely feel pressured sometimes,” Alysha Manning said. “I want to be successful in life and I have a plan, and my mom does her best to guide and support me.” 

With senior year approaching some juniors may feel particularly pressured to join  more extracurricular activities. 

“Yeah, it’s definitely had an impact on the sports I do,” Morrison said. “It’s hard to juggle everything, and you can easily get benched for having a C or lower for grades.” 

For others this pressure hasn’t had any impact on the clubs and or sports they’ve decided to join. 

“I’ve never really felt pressure to join anything,” Manning said. “My mom suggested I join activities so I could try things, but I’ve never felt pressured into doing them.”

When does this pressure start? For some people the feeling might not set in until junior year with ACT or SAT testing and college prep. For others it may not set in until senior year before they graduate high school. These juniors imparted some words of wisdom for incoming freshman.

“Whether you’re in honors or regulars, you need to take it seriously,” Morrison said. “You should start now because what actions you take will really affect your future.”

Others share similar views to Morrison when it comes to buckling down early on.

“You should definitely join as many clubs as you’re able to begin with, especially if you don’t know what you’re interested in,” Newman said. “You also need to take school seriously, even if it is only your freshman year.”

So whether graduation is just around the corner, or your just stepping into freshman year of high school it seems this pressure is inevitable. Sometimes people feel like they’re carrying this weight to do well alone, but this refreshing insight truly shows how many of us might struggle with the pressure to accel in school. 

“Underclassman, don’t stress,” Morrison said. “You still have some time to figure things out.”