Student Jobs

Student+Jobs

Most teenagers want their own money. Luckily for us, there’s a pretty direct answer on just how to get it.
Student jobs give high school students almost a prerequisite for their jobs outside of high school, and help students practice good money habits. This will indefinitely help students who decide to have a job in high school.
“I think that having a student job is great for future work experience,” freshman Sophia Woodrich said. “It helps you get an idea on balancing money and saving it.”
Balancing a job and schoolwork could definitely be a challenge for some. Yet Woodrich says that it’s not much of a problem.
“It depends on the person really,” Woodrich said. “I have an easy time keeping schoolwork on track, but I think if you struggle with that, try to focus on that before a job.”
Although, stress one may have from balancing the two could possibly be replaced by the fun, or possibly relaxing aspects of a job.
“I specifically request to mainly do lobby because I work morning shifts, and [Dairy Queen doesn’t] serve breakfast, so I can kind of just sit around.” freshman Brynn Augustine said. “And, if I’m not doing that, it’s a night shift. It’s mainly chill, because that means I stay busy, and it goes by fast.”
None of this is going to say that all jobs are easy. Most jobs have aspects that can be really difficult. Whether it’s working itself, or the job environment.
“The most difficult part for me is mainly just dealing with my coworkers,” Augustine said. “A good portion of them are older than me, and don’t do their jobs.”
Working with a friend, however, is probably a good space to start. Some people become friends with their coworkers, but sometimes the circumstances just aren’t in the best interest of friends.
“I would recommend people to have jobs in high school, mainly just ‘cause I don’t want to be alone at my job anymore,’ Augustine said. “All of my friends quit because they wanted to be focused on school.”
School and work can be a hard balance at times, but it always zeroes out, and pays off.