Remake Rebuttal

A look at the recent remakes and sequals of the current time.
Remake+Rebuttal

Remakes have become more popular over the years. If you ask me, it’s because the original movies that have been coming out are absolute garbage. And this might not be their fault, some screen writers are simply not paid enough to create fantastic scripts like they used to. Although sometimes even the remakes are horrendous.

Now that’s not to say that all remakes are bad, they are just the result of a decline in the quality of original content and in some cases, executed poorly. Horror movies are particularly good at making movies for the same five franchises- just a little bit worse every single time. Eventually, you will barely be able to watch a horror movie anymore without wanting to curl yourself out of second hand embarrassment. 

However, more and more film studios have been doing remakes for classic movies that they are probably going to regret meddling with. For new movies such as John Wick: Chapter 4, Transformers: Rise of the Beasts, Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, and Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning, Part 1, they really just seem unnecessary. I mean yeah technically they all have slightly different plots from their predecessors, but also how many times do you need to watch Keanu Reeves kill people. 

Although there are the occasional remakes that have people anxious to watch, Wonka and Mean Girls are some more recent remakes that will be coming out late 2023 and early 2024. As well as a rumored Princess Diaries remake, which if that is true, I will be set. If those movies end up bad then we might just have to renovate the movie industry entirely. 

This may not be achieved with just some faith, trust, and pixie dust but it may require the writers and the many people that it takes to make a movie to actually be paid a fair wage. It’s hard to do any job effectively when you’re used as a story telling machine, all the while you are worried about how you are going to feed your family everyday this week. 

It’s looking less and less likely that the quality of film will ever be what it once was as time goes on. It feels more like directors and writers are relying on Computer Generated Imagery to amaze the viewer without actually having to develop a likable character. This could have to do with the SAG-AFTRA strike that was fighting for better pay and working conditions. It’s very possible that the result of writers and others who work in entertainment were just simply not being paid enough to give the level of quality that the film industry once had. 

Even so, it is getting harder and harder to enjoy films. We did get lucky over the summer with movies like Barbie and Oppenheimer who were examples of two original movies in a sea of sequels and remakes, which may play a part to their popularity and success. 

I think it is too soon to press the big red button and consider this an emergency. I feel that there are some very talented screen writers out there who once they are paid what they are owed would absolutely bring us back to a golden period in Hollywood. Preferably, a significantly less racist, sexist, homophobic, and overall bigoted golden Hollywood though.