Graduating at Semester

Seniors share about the opportunities that come with graduating at semester.
Jennifer Hubert
Senior Kloey Hamblen Signs to Peru State College to continue playing softball.

After working hard to get credits taken care of, a handful of seniors have the opportunity to end their high school journey early. 

While figuring out what they want to do beyond high school, some seniors choose to begin planning their future while the rest of their peers stay until May. 

“I am planning to take metro classes but I’m not sure what to do after that.” Senior Emily Fidler said.

Graduating at semester comes with many advantages that students find helpful in transitioning into a new part of life and branching out on their own.

“No stress whatsoever with school, more freedom and free time, and you can still come to school events if you’d like so you aren’t really missing out on much,” Senior Kloey Hamblen said.

While finishing your senior year comes with many memories, there are sometimes more opportunities in finishing school early to focus on something new.

“I wanted to get some time to focus on making money and honestly not even that, just more of a glimpse at the real world,” Hamblen said.

Taking their last semester in high school off gives students more time to figure out what to do next with their life.

“It gives me more time for myself and to figure out what I want to do for college,” Fidler said.

For seniors right now they are dedicating themselves to finishing high school, sometimes not focusing on other things they would like to.

“I decided to graduate early to spend more time with my family. There’s been a lot of circumstances that affected my situation,” Fidler said

Creating memories in high school is something many carry around for the rest of their life, with these seniors graduating at semester they might be cutting it short.

“It kind of sucks but most of my friends are graduating at semester so we’ll still be able to see each-other and have fun,” Hamblen said.

These Seniors who have decided to graduate this semester have given themselves more opportunity to figure out what they want to do, but also allow themselves to create experiences outside of school.