Why is Football so Special?

Senior Foreign Exchange student, Aaron Villiger, joins the Monarch football team for the ’23 season.

“A tremendous and dynamic combat sport that demands both physical prowess and great mental discipline,” is the answer that pops up from ‘USA Judo’ when you look up “What is so special about Judo?” 

Judo, a Japanese martial art, is what Senior Foreign exchange student, Aaron Villiger, participated in before coming to Papillion La Vista. From Switzerland to America, Villiger brought his Judo skills with him. 

Coming from a country where the word “football,” really means soccer, Villiger didn’t have much knowledge of the sport Americans call “football.”

“I knew it was a sport of big guys throwing each other on the ground,” Villiger said.

Despite his little knowledge of the sport, Villiger retired from his Judo practice and decided to give football a try, playing the ‘23 season with the Monarchs. Throughout the season, Villiger learned more about football than what he knew before actually playing the sport.

“I really liked that it’s a team game where everyone has his own role on the field,” Villiger said, “it only works if everything works, like a big machine.” 

Not only did Villiger have a good experience on the field, but off as well. Coming to a new school is hard enough, but one in a new country, it seems like it would be impossible to make connections. But football helped Aaron with that. 

“The atmosphere was great, team events like team dinners were great,” Villiger said, “It was a good opportunity to meet new people.” 

“Football teaches you how to function as a part of society,” is the answer from ‘Kipsta’, when you look up, “Why is football so special?” Physical prowess and great mental discipline are the skills Villiger came to Monarch football with, but he came out of it with some great new skills too.