Worth the Wait

Omahas riverfront opens an ice skating rink and makes holiday wishes come to life.

Beautiful lights, cheerful holiday music, and a lively atmosphere are all things people imagine coming with the winter season. The new ice skating rink on the riverfront in downtown Omaha appeals to all of these attractions. 

Located on 8th and Farnam, the “skate ribbon” is a new holiday attraction for Nebraskans. Upon first arrival, it could be nerve wracking to see all the people frustrated by the length of the lines to get tickets scanned. What people were more frustrated by was the fact that after you wait in a long line to get your online tickets scanned, you have to go to the end of another lengthy line to get your skates if you don’t bring your own. After you conquer these lines while trying not to focus too much on how cold you are, the real fun starts. 

The skate ribbon is in a figure 8 shape; you can skate around the outside of the rink or if you’re not feeling brave enough, you can skate in the smaller inside circular areas. If you get cold or your feet get sore, there’s fireplaces with seating areas in the middle of the ice rink. you can simply stop in your route and warm up. 

The lights of the skating rink go around the entire length and are truly beautiful. They have holiday music playing to set the mood and it’s impossible to not have a good time. 

The holiday sights dont stop after you exit the rink though. Right outside the rink is a beautifully decorated, giant Christmas tree that is hard to miss. The riverfront parks are a must to stop at after and walk through. On a perfect winter night, the air is crisp, there are lights that stretch for hundreds of feet, and decorations that make you stop and ask a stranger to take your picture in front of. 

The riverfront area is the perfect date night, perfect place to go with friends, or even with family, it truly appeals to all. No one leaves in a bad mood, unless your heart is two sizes too small.