Finding The New Generation

Monarch Journalism is looking for new members to keep all three student publications strong.
J1+student+Delilah+Olson+practices+her+photography+skills+during+her+Journalism+1+class.+
J1 student Delilah Olson practices her photography skills during her Journalism 1 class.

Sophomore students Delilah Olson and Kylie Champlin shared a favorite final in common: Writing and designing their own newspaper in their Journalism 1 class. Journalism 1 provides  students with the opportunity to learn different styles of writing, from sports to opinion, and learn how to take pictures and design. After completing the class, students have the chance to apply for the PLHS Scepter or Yearbook staff. 

“I really loved just learning how to talk to people, and it was really nice to have that pressure to go out and be more social,” Olson said. 

In class, as part of the writing process, the students learn how to interview others and get the skills down that make a good writer. 

“I liked getting to make our own newspaper and get to write volleyball stories,” Olson said. 

Being in journalism gives the opportunity for students to bring together all their special abilities and have the freedom to be involved in their favorite part of the program. 

“I’m looking forward to working on actual works that will be in the yearbook,” Champlin said. “I think it will be really cool to see my work that isn’t just in my folder.”

Moving on from Journalism 1 to the Scepter or Yearbook can be a big jump, but also an exciting one. 

“I love that we are like a little family in this community,” senior assistant editor and chief of the Scepter Jennifer Hubert said. “It’s all different types of people coming together.”

Students in Scepter and yearbook even get the opportunity to compete in the state journalism competition, with PLHS currently holding three titles. 

“A core moment [from journalism,] in my three years I have been on staff, was probably when I won state for Headline Writing, it was a really special moment,” Hubert said. 

For many students, Journalism 1 and the Scepter or Yearbook creates a one of a kind opportunity for them to express their creativity and talents and be a part of a team.