Smears of the Century

Months away from election day political advertisements start to be pushed.

Intense and vicious can be a few words to describe the political climate in the United States during Election Year. As it gets closer and closer to November 15th, the candidates for the 2025-2028 Presidency attempt to garner support by campaigning through one of the most annoying methods: political commercials and ads.

From bashing their opponents to listing reasons as to why they are the right choice for the presidency, these commercials have it all. Due to the 1960 Richard Nixon and John F. Kennedy campaigns, bashing commercials were created, and the more positive commercials were made popular. Since the 1960s, the intensity and amount of these commercials have greatly increased. 

Not only do political commercials plague our televisions, but they now plague our phones through different social media platforms, radios and, of course, the occasional “Vote for me!” billboards. Everywhere you go, you will see or hear some sort of political advertisement, which is an unfortunate reality that we do have to accept. Just a couple of years ago I would always hear or see a Jim Pillen ad; I could not escape the pig farmer turned politician.

Now, with the upcoming presidential election, we can expect an influx of mainly scolding commercials. During recent years the political landscape has gotten dramatically violent, due to the extreme political polarization, with all sides participating in this unfortunate growing gap.

The last presidential election was intense and frankly scary; this year will be no different. We can expect some of the most vicious smear ads as well as tons upon tons of misinformation due to the “Political Rematch of the Century” between Donald Trump and Joe Biden. In 2020, Trump lost to Biden which sparked widespread controversy, and now we can look forward to the two competing against one another for the 2024 presidency.

The public does not deserve all of this political harassment that they are being put through, nor do they deserve to be subjected to the flurry of misinformation that smear ads spread. Rather than relying on ads to gain or take votes, any type of political candidate should instead reach out to their people and have more interactive campaign rallies to have voter support.