The Man, The Myth, The Garfield Movie

Since the dawn of 1978, Garfield has blessed the Earth with his amazing comic strips, now he blesses us with a new movie.

June 19, 1978, the greatest comic strip turned TV show about an abnormal orange cat that has a crave for lasagna was published. That comic strip was the start of the cultural phenomenon of Garfield.

Garfield centers around the strange cat and his family and friends. His owner, Jon, his friend and sometimes enemy tabby cat, Nermal, finally Garfield’s ‘brother,’ Odie the dog. Jon originally adopted Garfield in order to get rid of the annoying mice that live in his house, but Garfield forms an alliance with the mice in order to stay in Jon’s house.

Multiple videos and pieces of media have been made about Garfield, ranging from fans talking about how Garfield, “Is so them,” to videos of Garfield stuffed animals doing various activities.

Since the creation of the Garfield comic strip, five movies and two shows have been made about the lazy talking cat. This year in May, a sixth Garfield movie will be released, simply titled, “The Garfield Movie.”

Growing up I watched the Garfield movies and shows on repeat much to the annoyance of my grandparents. Garfield is what sparked my favoritism for cats over dogs, so I along with others are very excited to see what the new Garfield movie will bring to the table.

The trailer for “The Garfield Movie” starts off with an abandoned kitten version of Garfield going into an Italian restaurant where Jon is sitting alone. Garfield then tears through all of the food in the Italian restaurant, eating everything from pizza to cake.

More than half way through the trailer Garfield and Odie are introduced to Garfield’s father, and in the newest trailer, it’s revealed that Garfield and his father are going to pull off a heist.

May 24 is when the obnoxious cat finally makes his way onto the big screen for his sixth time. After watching the trailer, and being a self-titled Garfield expert, I would recommend taking some time out of your day and giving “The Garfield Movie” a chance to see a comedic cartoon masterpiece in action.