Education Academy

Education+Academy

The waxy smell of crayons, the sound of kids’ laughter, excitement of the students, just a typical day in an Education Academy classroom with juniors and seniors, who all have the same outlook on life and would like to someday be a teacher.
All the students that walk into Papillion LaVista High School have an opportunity to be in the Education Academy during their Junior and Senior years. For many students, this is the class that may determine their future after high school.
“I am a teacher and have been for a long time and being able to mentor high school kids that potentially want to be in the same profession sounded like a great opportunity,” Education Academy teacher Mr. Joe Pilakowski said.
“I joined the Education Academy because I have alway wanted to be a teacher and it’s a good opportunity to get my foot in the door,” senior Jamelah Taylor said.
In the Academy each student is placed in a classroom of their choosing to work with a teacher to get a taste of what teaching is really like.
“I go to Rumsey Station with Mrs.Craven in 5th grade and my students are always happy to see me and I like going to see them,” Taylor said.
Almost every other week Mr.Pilakowksi comes and observes the students’ student teaching in their placements, and enjoys interacting with the classroom students.
“It’s been great for me to go out and see other teachers, see how they work, see how they operate their classrooms, to give me ideas for my classroom,” Pilakowksi said “personally it’s been great to go out there to the elementary schools and middle schools and see the kids that are the same age as my own kids learning and seeing what it is they are doing and that’s impacted me as a parent and father so it’s been great”.
Helping students have the light bulb go off in their head when learning a new topic is such a special and exciting moment to see with the younger students.
“Every week I get to read with them and talk about their books and it’s always interesting because they are always so excited to tell me about their book and I think it’s so cute,” Taylor said.
Joining Education Academy is a special thing, you get to meet new people, and learn so many important things about being in the academy.
“If you are thinking about doing it and are unsure you might as well just do it because it doesn’t take anything out of your day to come to this class and it is super fun,” Taylor said.
With the ability to be able to try out the Education career before getting into college it makes a huge difference in the way you look and see your future after high school.
“All together it’s a great opportunity for kids to try out teaching in high school,” Pilakowski said. “I wish it would have been there for me”.