Educated Educators

New and Student teachers value their past education experiences as they look forward to their first year at plhs.

Experienced teacher Gretta Hubert begins class. Teachers work hard every day to provide a good experience for all their students.

As students, we’re always told to go to school, get an education, go to college and eventually leave school forever when we get a job. But for some people, getting a job means going back to school, but as a teacher this time.

Coming back as a student teacher or new teacher can be a tough process, but it seems that new and student teachers at PLHS are happy with their experience. 

This semester, PLHS has a few new teachers and student teachers, and whether this is their first-year teaching, or they’ve been teaching for a long time, a new teacher’s experiences can mold the rest of their time at school. For the past 6 years teacher Mr. Philip Maas has taught at the La Vista Middle School, this year he has moved up to PLHS.

“My first year taught me valuable skills like the need to be prepared, flexible, and compassionate,” Maas said. 

Teachers’ methods are influenced long before they ever go to college, and many teachers draw inspiration from teachers in their past. 

“I had really good teachers in high school,” student teacher Audra Keehn said, “and I just felt like I wanted to pay it forward and help other kids, especially in sciences because a lot of kids don’t think about going into teaching it. ” 

The students are nice and spending time with the students can be the most fun part of Keehn’s day. 

This may only be the beginning but the year has just started, and with the new teachers on the staff, there is no knowing what will happen.