Go Big and Go Home

PLHS has had the home side at the Titan vs. Monarch game for the past two years.

Jill Mathison

Monarchs’ defensive line face off the Titans during the third quarter.

Rivalries can spark a passion in fans, going to great extents to dress up, paint up, and show up for their team. Screaming at the top of their lungs, being united as a crowd, and exerting all the pride possible to muster.When on the home side the game is even more exhilarating.

Jill Mathison
Student section, lead by senior John Tencer, prepares to “ride the rollercoaster.”

For our big rivalry football game, against the Titans, we got the home side of our shared field two years a row when it has a pattern to switch every year. It raised some questions among the student body as there were positive and negative effects in return. 

Mr. Jason Ryan shed some light on the situation to answer why Monarchs had the home side two times in a row and how the NSAA decides it. 

“We just try to balance it, “Ryan said. “We talked about switching it, but it would be unbalanced because Titans had the home side 2015-16. 

Whether it be from student stand point or faculty. There are a few benefits that come along with having the home side of the field. 

Students such as senior dance team member Abby Longe have a motive for loving the home side. 

“The best part of having the home side is obviously dancing,” Longe said. “More people show up, and there’s more space too. 

The benefit of having the home side doesn’t just extend to the fans in the bleachers. It has an impact on the school itself. 

“From a budget and financial side there is more ticket and concession sales,” Ryan said. 

Considering all the benefits of having the home side, some students were upset about the inconsistency with the pattern. Junior Jackson Zuerlein was looking forward to having the home side his senior year. 

“I hate it because being seniors, it’s supposed to be [our] best year and it’s the most important game,” Zuerlein said. 

Whether or not you care about having the home side, the state has a policy that determines the schedule. 

“The only guarantee is that students get the home side 2 out of 4 years,” Ryan said.