Test Time!

Test+Time%21

Sweat drips down your forehead as the timer slowly inches towards zero. You try as hard as possible to finish. Just one more point. The clock strikes zero. This is no game. This is the A.C.T.
As the school year continues many students are faced with the challenge of the A.C.T and S.A.T. These tests are known for being extremely difficult, and therefore very stressful. Thus, causing many students to panic as the test date creeps near. From not knowing what the test even is, to questioning if the tests are even worth it, many stressors flood students’ minds as they prepare to take the A.C.T or S.A.T.
The mysterious, intimidating aura that surrounds these tests is only increased with how little incoming test takers know about them.
“It doesn’t help that I’m going into it blindly,” Sophomore Aubree Hoffman said. “Cause like no one ever talks about them, so I have no idea what to expect. All that I know is that they’re timed.”
It’s evident that these common mysteries are only solved after someone takes these mysterious tests.
“It’s a very large standardized test that is different from other standardized tests,” Senior Kate Adair said. “The questions test for very basic knowledge, but the questions try to trick you, which is why it’s so hard. I haven’t taken the S.A.T, though I did take the pre-S.A.T, but it’s definitely harder than the A.C.T. It tests for different skills in the sections than the ones on the A.C.T.”
Even though it’s hard to figure out how difficult the test may be, a students’ results are truly based on how well they study and prepare themselves.
“If I take one of the tests I plan on studying everything; then I’ll make sure I can do some problems quickly, and get formals remembered,” Hoffman said.
Adair had also found difficulty in her performance on the first A.C.T she ever took. Claiming her level of studying was what caused her struggle.
“I took my first A.C.T my junior year, and it was definitely interesting,” Adair said. “It wasn’t too bad honestly, but I hadn’t studied enough, so it was really difficult for things like the timing; which is what a lot of people get stuck on.”
With how difficult and stressful the test seems, many students doubt the worth of the tests on their future.
“I mean, I bet they could be worth it but, I bet they’re not because when you’re timed it’s completely different,” Hoffman said. “The way you think differs whether you’re timed or not. So it might depend if it helps or not at all when colleges are looking at it. Some people aren’t good under pressure.”
The reality is, how the A.C.T or S.A.T affects someones’ future varies from person to person.
“It can be worth it, I mean if you’re looking to get into a college and you already have really good grades and a good G.P.A, then I’d say it’s not,” Adair said. “But if you’re looking for academic scholarships then definitely take them cause the higher score you get the more academic scholarships could qualify for.”
There are many ways to go about preparing for these tests. Even so it is always a good idea to ask for advice.
“Definitely take prep classes, don’t try to study on your own, it does not work very well,” Adair said. “I advise looking up professional stuff or getting one of those books that help improve your score, don’t try to do it on your own.”