Cut, Tie, Repeat

National Honors Society and Student Council make tie blankets for Project Linus.
Student+Council+members+work+together+to+make+a+blanket.+
Sophia Rojas
Student Council members work together to make a blanket.

Cut, tie, repeat. On February 4th, The National Honors Society and The Student Council came together to create tie blankets for Project Linus. 

Project Linus makes, collects, and distributes handmade blankets to seriously ill or traumatized children. This provides a rewarding way to give back to the community. Junior NHS members Laini White and Millie Belik are just two students who were able to give love, a sense of security, warmth and comfort to children. 

NHS and The Student Council spent the afternoon working hard to spread affection. Coming together allowed for an effective day of volunteering. 

“It was fun and rewarding to be able to make a difference,” Belik said. “We couldn’t have done it without everyone helping each other.” 

A successful project isn’t possible without a system. Most students grouped up to work on and complete multiple tie blankets.

“The easiest way to make the blankets was with a routine,” White said. “I was in a group where one person would cut and the others would tie. This helped us make at least 3 blankets.”

With each volunteer making multiple blankets, the end result was shocking. It provided a good feeling and a sense of accomplishment. 

“I had fun hanging out with my friends while making blankets,” Belik said. “But the best part was the end. Seeing how many blankets we made was so rewarding, there were at least 50.” 

Donating to Project Linus was a great way to earn volunteer hours but also a great way to help others. 

“I definitely hope we do it again next year,” White said. “It was a perfect way to come together, bond, and give back to children in need.”