Preparing For The A.P Exam

Students and teachers in the PLHS building spend time preparing for the Advanced Placement Exams to earn future college credit.
Junior+Kyren+Shadley+studies+for+his+A.P+Micro%2FMacro+exam+in+Mr.+Browns+class.+
Lilly Raughton
Junior Kyren Shadley studies for his A.P Micro/Macro exam in Mr. Brown’s class.

For many seniors, juniors and seniors, the next two weeks are filled with studying and preparing for final exams and the school year to be over. But, one type of exam is filling some students’ time for preparation: the AP Exams. 

The AP (Advanced Placement) exams are  college level tests with multiple choice and free response questions. They range from 2-4 hours and provide students at the high school level with an opportunity to earn college credit if they score high enough. 

AP class teachers vary in how they prepare their students for the exam, ranging from practice tests to studying how the test will work. 

“Throughout the semester, during our tests, we see questions that I have taken from the AP classroom website and utilize those for the students to help them prepare for the exam,” AP U.S. Government and Politics teacher Mr. Joe Pilakowski said. 

For senior Lucy Sawtelle, the AP Psychology class has been a way for her to get a deeper understanding and knowledge of what she is learning about. 

“I’ve discovered that I really enjoy learning about psychology and all the subtopics within the class,” Sawtelle said. “I’m planning on minoring in psychology, so this class will help me have a foundation for that. If I pass the exam, I will also have already earned a college credit.” 

While the exam can be lengthy and rigorous, many students and teachers find it is a good way to help students before they go to college. 

“I think [the exam] is a good measure for students to get an idea of what rigor they are going to see from a college type class and be immersed in the type of curriculum they will see at the college level,” Pilakowski said. 

With the end of the school year here, AP exams are being taken and helping to greater prepare students for their next level of education.